There is much divide in the Christian World about whether the laws in the Old Covenant / Hebrew Bible are still valid, since we have a better one. Many Christains are doing away with the laws while some are returning to the Jewish/Hebraic roots of them. Lets examine what the word says and decide from there:
1 Jesus siad in Matthew 5:17 – Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
2. Paul writes in Galations 3:13 – Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangs on a tree:
3. Luke writes to the Council in Jerusalem in Acts 15:19-20 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God: But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
From these scriptures we can deduce:
1. Jesus Himself said the law is not eradicated
2. If the law was not in effect, then there would be nothing Christ had to redeem us from
3. We have been redeemed from the curse of the law…but not the blessings of it
4. Acts mentions the 3 most important laws from the Hebrews that “gentiles” should keep:
* a. anything related to idolatry
* b. keep oneself pure in sexuality
* c. not to eat meats that were not properly killed for digestion. This includes not eating:
*** 1. animals that died naturally
*** 2. animals tortured before or during death
*** 3. animals that died by predator attack of another animal
5. Not allowed to drink blood ( for the life of a thing is in its blood and the Lord forbade this).
If my analysis has some error, please share!