I have not owned a TV set in years. I don’t even watch anyone else’s box often. It’s a rare occasion to find me in front of the lighted box!
As a Christian, and a conscious individual, I cannot see how anyone can stand watching it for any period of time. Here’s why:
1. Do you have trouble concentrating on anything for long periods of time? If you watch TV, it may be becuase of the way the programs are set up. Every 7 minutes or so, a set of commercials are interjected into the program you are watching. This breaks a level of continuous focus and actually trains or conditions your mind to operate under distractions in life.
2. Once you turn on a tv and settle down in front of it, your mind goes from alpha waves ( active/concious ) to beta waves ( sedentary /unconcious ) in less than a minute. This puts a person in a very suggestive unconcious receptive position, less likely to challenge anything it sees and records, especially since its only ‘TV’.
3. There are subliminal messages in EVERY commercial and TV program. Think this is not true? See the below clip for proof. Just think about the bigger picture: There are two entities that are given dominion through God’s gift to man, either the Lord himself, or the devil. If the Lord is not in authority over a thing, then note that the devil is. If he is, then he will promote his agenda, so this shouldn’t really be surprising.
4. Have you ever noticed when your favorite show cuts to a commercial the volume goes up? No, this is not your imagination, it’s the commercials blaring their wares! This was such a complaint, that the FCC hjad to pass the CALM Act, in 2010, which stand for the Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation, This will take effect in December 2012 to make sure the volume doesn’t need to be adjusted anymore.
5. Are you noticing what is on TV in this age? What things that are now considered ‘entertaining’ while just a few decades ago would have been an outrage? There is a LOT of demoralizing, desenstizing, and degrading things on the channels today. Cursing, Arguing, Disrespect, Dishonor, and a borage of ads for medications that make you worse than the symptoms they heal, just to name a few!
In examining and realizing these truths, we should be guard what we watch and hear and stay alert. Deception only has victory when its unexpected. That’s why Jesus said to stay awake and pray…
Give me a good book, like the BIBLE, and some tea over television any day!